Monday, July 12, 2010

Detroit Retro Posters





Detroit Retro Posters
Design by Claire Nelson (2005)



I created this series of posters for Create Detroit's Graphics Exposition back in December 2005. Then led by the always-creative Eric Cedo, the organization invited local designers to submit "propaganda" and selected 50 for printing. My "Make Your Parents Proud" poster was exhibited and sold at the Fisher Building along with countless better designs. At that time I was too poor to even buy my own print for a hundred bucks. But years later, after Create Detroit disbanded, I dug up the designs again to frame & sell at Bureau. Funnily enough, these posters generated both the best compliments and worst criticism I've received in my time as a wannabe designer. But we'll just focus on the positive here -- I don't know if she remembers, but the generous praise from Jenenne Whitfield, director of The Heidelberg Project, totally made my year.