Sunday, July 11, 2010

Detroit Synergy





Detroit Synergy
Design by Claire Nelson (2002-2006)

I arrived in Detroit just as Detroit Synergy was starting up to promote discovery, dialogue and development in the city. I had no real professional experience with branding or marketing, but they needed a logo and flyers and postcards and print ads (this was back in ye olden days, before social media). So developing graphic standards and designing and writing all the promotional materials became my volunteer gig (that often felt more like a full-time job). These were some of my earliest experiments with typography and layouts, and I owe a lot of thanks to Rob Cummings for patiently coaching me through Photoshop and web design. The look we created back in 2002 lives on, with many improvements by Michelle DiMercurio and others.