Monday, July 12, 2010

Carte Claire







   


Carte Claire
Design by Claire Nelson (2002-4)

When I moved to Detroit in 2002, I started taking on little freelance graphic design gigs to pay the bills. Mind you, I had never taken a single graphic design class in my life, but my dear mother and her friends kindly commissioned me to create custom invitations, stationery, holiday cards, that sort of thing. One project led to another, and pretty soon I had quite the little collection of card designs. Nothing original in this idea -- I was following in the footsteps of my talented friend & mentor, Melissa Wood, who showed me the ropes during high school summers. Seemed like a fun way to work for myself and tinker with software, printers and web design. Over time, it became clearer that a greeting card empire was not in my future. Even still, I'm so grateful to all my family and friends who paid me to learn and experiment, not always with the best results.