Wednesday, June 8, 2011

WWJJD


This is my new temporary tattoo: "What Would Jane Jacobs Do?" Very helpful for neighborhood and city meetings when you're sure there's a better way, but you forgot to bring your copy of The Death and Life of Great American Cities.

Jane has been on my mind a lot lately. More than usual. It makes me happy when people invoke her, as both Professor Robin Boyle of Wayne State University and Tom Brennan of the Green Garage did just this last week. 

I find myself wishing she was here. Lordy, she'd raise all kindsa hell.


Thinking about Jane, I remembered one of my very favorite statements she ever made. It was from an interview she did for The New Yorker back in 2004 as she was promoting her seventh and final book, Dark Age Ahead.

Today I took a moment to look it up. It still took my breath away.

From "Cities and Songs" by Adam Gopnick:
Her new book, despite its title, “is not gloomy,” she said. “But it is a wake-up call.” She believes that the fight for the soul of America is still on, and that it will be a battle, essentially, between cars and songs. 
“Our songs are so strong, don’t you think?” she said. “I get awfully sick when I hear comparisons to the Roman Empire. They were so much grimmer than we are, the Romans, so lacking in emotions and sentiments. Our songs and cities are the best things about us. Songs and cities are so indispensable. Even if we go into darkness, the time will come when people will want to know how these ruins were made—the essence of the life we made. It sounds very conceited to say it, but I hope that what I wrote will help people start back.
Cars v. songs. Isn't that so perfect? No wonder this city feels so embattled -- motors and music are Detroit's chief exports. 

Which will prevail?